Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Creativity Slump


I find that lately I have been in a creative slump. Whether it is due to the stress and fear of re-entering the work force after a year, the sheer amount of reading and assignments I do for school, being mom 24/7, or the time spent researching and gearing up for our business...I do not know. What I do know is that I really miss being creative, I miss scrapbooking, I miss editing my photos...and when it comes down to it, I think I miss the "me time" that I get when doing these activities.

I tend to be a giver not a taker when it comes to my time and myself. I rarely make time for me and the things I want to do. Countless times in my life I have set out to change this...to start down a new path where I set myself as important as the others in my life...to start to demand and take personal time. And for a few days I am good, really good. Then inevitably somthing will happen; a new business prospect, a friend in need...and all my intentions go down the drain and I get caught up in giving of myself again.

Now, do not get me wrong, I do not see this as a character flaw and in no way do I intend to stop. I like that I am a giver, I like that my friends and family can count on me to be there for them when they need me. I love that I get excited and jump feet first into new things. These things are what make me...me. I just know that for me to remain me...I need to set aside some time to be creative.

I have recently discovered Flickr and I am really enjoying getting lost ib there. Looking at all the cool images people have created. I stumbled across an area where people post pictures of their inspiration boards and just love the idea of it. Putting up images and words on display as a reminder of what is important or inspiring to me. Here are a few that I really loved, and no surprises really...this one with all its straight lines and rows, this one with a red background and cool geometric patterns, and this one for the sheer vastness of it...inspiring!

SO...in an effort to get some creativity back into my life, I am going to create my own inspiration board and post a picture on here...just as soon as I get my essay for school done.

No comments: